- American Board of Ophthalmology
- Medical School
- Ruprecht Karls University Heidelberg Degree
- Bellingham Eye Physicians
Dr. Jean Kassem was born in Germany and raised in the U.S. He is a board certified Ophthalmologist specializing in orbital surgery, oculoplastics, reconstructive surgery and neuro-ophthalmology. He is Board Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology.
After completing medical school at Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg in Heidelberg, Germany, Dr. Kassem returned stateside for Ophthalmology residency at Tulane University Medical Center in New Orleans, LA. He subsequently completed an extensive two year double fellowship in neuro-ophthalmology, orbital disease and oculoplastic and reconstructive surgery at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in Columbus, OH, where he served as assistant professor of ophthalmology.
Specialty and Clinical Interests include:
- Oculoplastic surgery including eyelid malpositions, ocular adnexal tumors, reconstructions.
- Lacrimal surgery.
- Orbital disease including orbital tumors and thyroid eye disease.
- Neuro-ophthalmology including optic neuropathies, pseudotumor cerebri, adult strabismus, anisocoria, and blepharospasm/hemifacial spasm.
Dr. Kassem is pleased to bring his skills to Bellingham and Northwest Washington. In his free time he enjoys diving, sailing, snowboarding, weight lifting, and photography. He also enjoys international travel and learning about other cultures. His own multicultural heritage assists him in relating to a broad range of people. Dr. Kassem is fluent in English and German.