We are pleased that you have chosen us to assist in your care. Our facility combines the latest surgical technology with a comfortable and relaxed atmosphere. This page is designed to provide as much information as possible and to help answer many of the questions you may have regarding your surgery. If you have a specific concern that is not addressed satisfactorily, please feel free to call Bellingham Ambulatory Surgery Center at (360) 671-6933.
Learn what to expect and what measures should be taken before, during and after your surgery:
- All patients are asked to pre-register at the facility prior to the day of surgery. Appointments are not necessary; you can drop in between 9 am and 4 pm.
- Bring a complete list of any medications and/or herbals/supplements you are taking, including dosage and frequency. If you have not been able to make a list you can bring your medications with you.
- Instructions regarding eating and drinking limitations before surgery should be followed carefully. Patients under the influence of anesthesia or sedation may lose protective reflexes like coughing and/or gagging. If instructions are not followed, a rare but serious complication can occur that allows food or liquids to leave the stomach and enter the lungs. We recognize that fasting is difficult; after surgery we promise to get you something to eat and drink as soon as it is safe.
- Arrange for someone to give you a ride home after surgery. Ask your doctor if you should have someone with you overnight as well.
- Children must have a parent or guardian in the building at all times while they are in the Center.
The Day of Surgery/Please follow carefully to avoid cancellation of your surgery
- Arrive promptly at the time assigned.
- Follow food/drink restrictions carefully.
- If you are allowed clear liquids the day of surgery, limit yourself to water, apple juice, or black coffee/tea.
- Medications approved by your physician may be taken with a sip of water.
- Arrange with an adult friend or relative to drive you home (no taxi or bus).
- Arrange for someone to day with you for the FIRST night following surgery.
- No perfume or scented products are allowed in the facility.
- Bring insurance cards/ID cards, but leave jewelry/valuables at home.
- Please do not bring (non-patient) children to the Center.
- Please limit the number of people who accompany you to the Center.
- Contact your surgeon and the Center if your health changes before your scheduled surgery.
- Remember to give your nurse any papers that your surgeon instructed you to bring to the Center.
- At least one LEGAL GUARDIAN is REQUIRED to remain in the Center during the surgery and recovery of a child under 18.
- You will be given written discharge instructions to take home with you.